Our Heritage and History
The name Lios Duin Bhearna means “Fort of the Gap”.
The town developed in the early nineteenth century with the influx of visitors coming to “take the waters” at the spa, which had been discovered in the previous century.
The opening of the West Clare Railway station in 1887 contributed towards the development of the spa.
Visitors outside Duff & Dowling’s shop (now the Ravine Hotel) circa 1880-1914. Photo courtesy of www.clarelibrary.ie
A Glimpse into the Past: Late 1800s vs 2016 – Over 100 years in the making
The Sulphur Wells
The Imperial Hotel
Main Street, Lisdoonvarna